A couple of days ago, I did a full inspection on our hive that made it through the winter (aka Hive of the Mound). This hive currently has three brood boxes full of bees and brood. That’s a lot of bees. As soon as the parts for a new hive arrive, I will be dividing this hive into two hives. I will also have to purchase a queen for the divide, which will become a second hive. The original part of the hive will be the honey-producer this year, and the new divide will be overwintered and produce honey next year as described in a previous post about the Horizontal Two Queen System we are using.
I took a few video shots of the numerous bees, with which my dear husband Pat did some lovely editing.